


Spring in Oregon is such a tease. After months and months of rain and snow and really cold days with record precipitation we had a week of wonderful sunshine! My neighborhood was alive with the sounds of mowing, planting and digging. Kids were shooting hoops in the street and zooming around on roller blades and skateboards. The young girls were dressed in crop tops, if not just yet shorts, and the days lasted until late. We planted tomotos, onions (Walla Walla of course), lettuce and my first four rose bushes. Yesterday was a hint of today, with clouds in the morning and sun in the afternoon. Today was right back to drizzle, dark clouds that made the day seem short again...and it was cold. UGH! Perhaps another day of sun will come.
My week of work reflected the weather today. I could swear that, when my back was turned, someone painted a bull's eye on my ass and the world used me as a target. Last week a supposedly trusted employee and one-time friend (or so I thought) left without serving her 2-week notice. She took with her, in addition to the trust and friendship of some staff, some unique knowledge that should have been passed on to her replacement. Her personal demons apparently overwhlemed any professional behavior she might have manifested. I have seldom been as disappointed in an employee as I was in this individual. A lesson learned for me, I suppose, although I haven't quite defined exactly what that lesson is yet. Then, this morning, another delightful young woman on my staff became overwhelmed with personal issues and depression and resigned, effective immediately. She, as opposed the the aforementioned worker, resigned face-to-face with sincere and tearful apologies and hugs all around. My heart goes out to her and I sincerely hope she remains in contact with us so that we may know she is well and happy.
Tonight I am exhausted and have done virtually nothing physical. I hate mental exhaustion. I would rather be totally spent physically than mentally tired. Perhaps I should have been a brick-layer instead of a manager. I am going to the coast this weekend and I want to run, even if I run in the rain. I need to be running much more than I am, especially for the Hood to Coast.
I took some photos of my tulips and my back yard last weekend. They will qualify as "before" photos of my yard very soon. I am just beginning, but it is really fun to create the yard from scratch. It's odd to have purchased a 70 year old home and not have an established yard. I would have loved to have inherited old, old plants, but I guess I have to start from the beginning here. I'll include some photos. The "circle" of dirt in the center of my lawn will be a rose garden. I will plant (have planted 4 already) the roses in concentric rings with something like a fountain or statue in the center. Perhaps I'll bring my mother's White Dove from the coast and put it there.
No comments:
Post a Comment