Tuesday, April 11, 2006

My New Truck

I am having trouble coming square with the nice things that have happened to me in the past three years. I moved to a state that is more beautiful than I could have imagined and have a job that I like very much. I feel I am doing well in that position and I love my staff. They are wonderful folks. I am with a fellow that I fell in love with in 1959 and we are doing well and I am happier than I ever thought I could be. I have been able to purchase my own home, and, although it is small, it is so very cute and just perfect for me. And, now I have been able to buy a brand new truck! I cannot imagine why this good fortune has befallen me. It is almost as if I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Don't get me wrong....I am very grateful and I love my life. I feel very fortunate and I appreciate what I have very, very much.
I spoke with my dearest friend Vickie Sluka last evening. She has recently lost 92 pounds! She says she looks at her reflection in a mirror and says "Hmmmmmm!?" Not in admiration, mind you, but just Hmmmm. I feel that way too. It is a puzzlement to me, and, I am sure to her as well. We are happy for one another....as we have been dear friends for over 25 years. But it is hard to come around as to why this happens.
I managed to mow my front lawn tonight before dark, and even weed the front and part of my elderly neighbor's front planter as well. The back lawn will need to wait for tomorrow as will planting the vegetables I purchased the last two evenings. I have wonderful neighbors on both sides. I am "the middle" in space and age. The Kennedys on the south are in their 80s and the "kids" on the north are 20-somethings.
So, I went to Kelso, Washington this evening and took possession of my new truck. It's really a nice drive.......back to a stick shift for me. It took only one shift for my mind to click back to "stick" mode and I didn't give it another thought. Thanks Dad, for making me drive your 4-speed 3/4 ton truck with compound reverse before I ever was allowed the new Buick. I can drive most anything now.

No comments: