Sunday, June 11, 2006





What a beautiful weekend!!!! While I worked Saturday morning at BMC the sun came out. A few minutes after I got home about 1:30pm Mike arrived in the Jag. We decided the sun was such a treat that we would go for a top-down spin. I had seen a sign on my way to work for several weeks that said "PEONIES, Thur-Sun 11-6." Of course, those hours were not such that I could see what the "PEONIES" were all about. We followed the signs on Saturday, and thank heaven there were signs! If you lived up there you'd need bread crumbs to get to the store and back. I had no idea there were so many varieties of Peonies. Jim & Bonnie Johnson have made a hobby/vocation of growing and hybridizing peonies. They have, literally, hundreds of colors and varities growqing on their considerable piece of land. They have other very beautiful landscaping as well and are extremely personable to converse with. I believe I will order two or three varieties from them to be collected and planted in the fall. I especially liked Coral Charm, Candy Hearts and Butter Bowl.

After the Peonie tour we took the road off of Highway 30 in South Scappoose that says "Mark's on the Channel" and followed it down to Dike Road. In addition to nursery growing farms we discovered a charming little bar/restaurant on the Multnomah Channel (Mark's of course) and sat on the dock having a beer in the warm sun. What a delightful place! I am sure we will return there more than once.

Sunday dawned (I guess-we got up late) warm and sunny again. After reading the paper in the sun on my deck Mike suggested we go to Troutdale and scout out Edgefield where we are to see Bonnie Raiit/Keb Mo in September. Again, top-down trip was enjoyed through Portland to Troutdale. Edgefield is a wonderful place of gardens and olde, restored buildings. We toured the Herb Garden and enjoyed beer and BBQ'd chicken outside in the area called "The Loading Dock."

My lawns needed mowing and, as Mike left to return to the coast, he predicted that I would mow them immediately. He was right, of course, and by 7:30 both front & back we mowed and edged. My garden is growing-we had salad from it on Saturday night- and the front of the house looks very cute with the korbels Mike added 2 weeks ago. I will include some updated photos here of the maturing garden and the front.

Next weekend brings another graduation (Karen Whiteaker's) and Gladys' 75th birthday party. I hope after that my life can be my own again for a while. I'd like to just garden here and at the coast and concentrate onmy running. The Hood to Coast looms ever closer!

No comments: