Thursday, June 01, 2006

Remiss in Keeping up BLOG-Guilty!



It's Oregon. It's June 1st and it's RAINING!!!!....still, yet, again. Hood Meadows will be open for skiing again this weekend. However, I have both the front & back door of my house open because Michael has installed two screen doors for me and it's not cold. That, at least, is an improvement.
Lots has happened, not the least of which is that Eric graduated from USC with his Master's Degree on May 12th. I returned to So Cal for the first time and, although I loved seeing Eric and family, I am soooooo glad I don't live there anymore. There are way too many rats in the rat-maze down there. No wonder everyone drives 80 mph and is stressed. They're running away and don't even know they're running in place.
I'll try to include some photos here of the graduation, though last time I tried my files were too big to download here.

My garden here in St. Helens is thriving. I have enough peas on my pea vines to have for dinner. My lettuce is (and has been already) edible and the Walla Walla onions look really good. Now that I have "deadlined" the slugs, my flowers are re-growing leaves and blooming. I have green tomatos and the cilantro looks good, but I think everything (including me) could use a little sunshine. Certainly, I would love to de-slime my deck with the 30-minutes I purchased, but it's hard to do in the rain! Hopefully before the Hood to Coast gang arrives I will be able to do that.

Mike has installed some korbels (little ginger-breadie things) on the pillars of my front porch. They look as if they have always been there and really make my house look even cuter than it was. As he says, my little house is so small that it doesn't take much to improve it. But now I REALLY need to repaint my porch. I did finally cut back the spent daffodils and tulips and plant some summer annuals and perennials. My roses in the front are ready to bloom also, especially since the neighborhood deer have stopped munching on the new growth.

My garden at the coast is going well. The logging near the house has apparently scared the elk and deer into another area. A rose is blooming in the lower garden that I have never seen before and the vegetables I planted remain. I will try planting some lettuce this coming weekend. I have tomatos and hot chilis growing the the little greenhouse. Mike made a foundation to raise it up that is just perfect. He has also almost finished the glasshouse under the stairs. I am looking foward to growing some things in there as well. That will also be a good place to "winter-over" some delicate plants. We'll see if that works.

No comments: