Sunday, January 07, 2007

Shiny Green That Wont Go away



Today I finally planned to paint my bathroom. I painted much of my home last Winter, choosing Adobe/Earth tones that look very nice with my old house. Two rooms were painted by the previous owners in a paint that offended me from the instant I first saw the house. The bathroom and my bedroom had, below the plate rails, the dark, SHINY green visible above. Yuk!! I have nothing against green, you understand. Grass should be green, leaves should be green, green apples should be green.......even Green Eggs & Ham (Dr. Souss)! But this paint looks like it belongs on a 1940s Signal Gas Station (one of which my father owned) and I can't bear it. The bedroom will eventually have bead board below the plate rail, but for the bathroom I chose an Adobe Red (a sort of brick/tomato color) that goes with the paint in the living-dining areas. I even treated and sanded the awful green stuff this morning, then wiped it down and left it to dry while I did some shopping. I blue taped all the edges to cut first and began to paint. Whoa!!! I had a hint then the green wanted to stick around. At this point it is nearly 5:00pm. The walls (blissfully small) have three coats of Miller Paint Baked Apple Red and, as you can see above, that damn green is still visible. Yikes, and I really wanted a shower this evening too. Everything from the bathroom is residing in the kitchen, Mellow has howled in protest all day and Cuddles just gave up and is sleeping on a (red) dining room chair cushion. For my part, I have had one Sierra Nevada Ale and just may have another.
On a lighter note, Rachel's and my adventure to buy a doghouse for Thumper turned out well yesterday. We managed ("we" being the previous owner of the doghouse and I) to coerce enough strong fellows in her neighborhood to lift a 200 lb doghouse over the fence and into my truck. We caravaned to Rachel's home and, while we were talking, her father managed to take it out of the truck all by himself. Damned engineers! I imagine, though, that getting it into her backyard was not quite as easy as getting out of my truck. I hope it went well. I hope Alexis has changed her mind about the doghouse. For some reason, Lexie decided that Thumper didn't want the doghouse. I can envision Lexie in that large house playing with the dog at some point. I sure hope so.
Well, on to 2007. I hope everyone had a good start on this New Year! Rains continue here and my shop has sprung several brand new leaks. I think a new roof, or at least lots of tar, is in my future as soon as the rains subside. Either that or I will need to buy stock in a pail manufacturing comapny. Hmmm, wonder if we have that industry here in St. Helens?
Egads!!!! I just realized that both my front and back doors are painted with that same, horrible green paint!!! Well, perhaps a belt sander is in the budget.

No comments: