

I finally removed my holiday lights from the front porch and trimmed all my roses. I even dug out and removed the one center rose that was actually not a rose, but only root stock, anymore. I will bring one of the "Judy Osborn" climbing roses that were rescued from the old Osborn home last year to, hopefully, climb on my porch. While outside trimming roses and removing lights, a mom and two young girls came by. They we from a local Girl Scout Troop solicting canned goods for the food bank and selling Girl Scout Cookies. I succomed, donated some cans and actually purchased two boxes of cookies. I also made a friend in the process. I just love my little old neighborhood where everyone looks out for one another. The little girls knocked on Edna's and Jessie's door. Edna answered the door, but was unable to ambulate to get canned goods. (She's having another knee replaced next month) So she called out to me and I fetched the canned good and gave them to the Girl Scouts. The mom confided to me that, they too, look out for the elderly couple that live across from them. I hope my neighbors look out for me when I need it as well.
After my chores were complete I drove to Mike's via Highway 30. It was a beautiful drive. I arrived in time for us to take a beer and Riley to visit the large stump in the new (ugly) clear cut to watch the sunset. The East wind was blowing spray from the waves and the sun turned the spray pink. It was very beautiful.......and very cold. I did manage to get some photos of the spray and the sunset before we, literally, ran back to the house and to the fire Mike had so thoughtfully built in the woodstove.
Sunday dawned as beautiful as Saturday. Riley and I took our run on the logging roads and returned, where Riley received his requisite treat. Eventually Mike & I decided it was too pretty of a day to waste dragging more branches onto the burn pile. He charged up the battery in the Jag, we took the top down and drove down the cost towards Nahalem and Wheeler. Of course, we were bundled up with jackets, gloves, hats and hoods, but it was sooooo nice to get out. We managed to find Tom and Peggy's new home in the process of being built. They will have many fine views from the lovely windows in their new house. I hope we get to see it closer to completion. It seems like it will be really nice.
In the winter, when it has been cold, rainy, snowy and we've been pinned down in the house, it always feels like thumbing your nose at the season to take the convertible with the top down and the sun shining and go for a spin! Kind of like cheating somhow.
The last photos are ones we took on that trip. The coast was beautiful and we enjoyed the respite very much. We arrive back home just in time to watch the sun set through the trees again. Next weekend we'll be at John & Bonnie's for Superbowl Sunday. I hope you'll all join us there.............at least in spirit if not in person.



No comments:
Post a Comment