I ran a 5K this Sunday. It's the same 5K I ran last July on the Beach in Seaside. We run about 1 1/2 blocks on the streets, then down the soft sand to the wet (hard) sand, down to the cove, back from them cove and up the SOFT sand and down to the finish. It's a relatively small race but a lot of fun. It's easy to strike up a conversation with folks who run. Either they are people who live nearby or are toursits who decide to run beacause they are there. For two years I have taken second place to casual tourists who "just happen to be there" and be in my age group. YUK!!! While I treasure my second place medals (gotten mostly becaue I am OLD and most ladies my age can't, or don't, run) I would certainly prefer a first place. NEXT YEAR!!!! This year I managed to persuade Peter Lindsay, Mike's long-time friend and co-worker, to run, along with his friend Jim (who has been a track coach and runs very, very well) to run this race. Of course, we were among the "elders" who ran. Peter and I took a second place medal and Jim ( who is the better runner of us all by far) took a third. I collected all our medals as the guys went to eat breakfast after the race. After I had collected Peter's and Jim's Medals and then my own, I explained to the M-Cee that we would all meet at happy hour at the tavern. He concluded (over the microphone) that he now knew the secret of the Cannon Beach runners........it was beer! We all met later in the day at Happy Hour at The Lumberyard tavern. Peter and Jim pretended to be very "embaressed" to receive their medals, but I believe they were pleased, especially Peter who somehow thought I might beat him. RIGHT, like some one with a 28 inch inseam could beat a 6'2" guy! Right!!! Not a chance.
I have included a photo here of us with our medals. I hope next year we can all collect our medals again. As Jim Babson reminded us, perhaps only 10-15% of folks our age can even do this, so we should wear our medals with pride.............even though we seem to have had little competition in the actual race. In the greater race of life, I believe we are winners for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment