Sunday, June 01, 2008

OHSU Tram Run/Walk


Today was the 2nd Annual OHSU Tram Run. It is a measured 5K that is mostly downhill. That is, of course, my kind of run! Rachel and I did it last year and it was a blast. This year Karina and Lynette joined us along with Lexie in her "jogger."

Rachel and I met, as usual, at
Sunset Transit Center to ride the MAX into town and then to the Streetcar. We were to meet up with the other two at the Tram.
However, while we waited for the Streetcar, Lynette & Karina walked up with their usual Starbucks coffee in hand. We all boarded the streetcar and made for the waterfront.
After a brief "potty stop" we walked the 1/2 mile down to pick up our race numbers and prepared to board the dreaded TRAM! Lynette was very apprehensive, to say the least, about riding the Tram. She has a severe fear of falling from heights. We stowed her in the middle of the tram near the operator and arose. She was laughing all the way up and actually had a great time. It was lightly raining for almost all the run. It wasn't bad and certainly was better than 80-90 degrees. I only drank 1/2 of my bottle of water on the course. I decided to put it in my pocket but eventually realized that the bottle was causing my pants to almost fall off. Thank heavens no one was too close to me. I carried the water in my hands the reast of the race. I finished before the others since I ran and they walked. I visited all the booths and talked to the folks displaying their wares. As I have been able to do, I predicted the walker's finish within 2 minutes and met them all as they came through the finish line. I had been checking the posted times and was in 1st place in my age category for a long time. As it ended up, someone beat me by 39 seconds. Darn!! I could have easily made up that time.




Lexie wanted her face painted and we did that. She became a Doggie all the way home. She is very cute and fun to have on these events. She collected her second medal in two weeks. Next thing we know, she'll be beating us all.

No comments: