Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Yard (again), How boring is that?!!






A little sunshine, some warmth and I'm outside! I love gardening and have missed being able to comfortably do much in my yard. So, this weekend was the perfect opportunity.
Saturday morning started with a Hood to Coast team meeting at the clinic, then a trip to the Hollywood District Saturday Farmer's Market. What a great Farmer's Market that is!!! It makes me wish I were closer to that on weekends. I purchased three yummy looking home-grown tomatoes and a loaf of garlic Ciabiatta bread that made my mouth water all the way home.
When I bought my little home I had a vision for the back yard. It was a square of sod, save for one small side and an old tree rose. In my mind's eye I created a plan and I have been working towards that ever since. This is my 3rd Spring in working in my little yard and I decided to create another piece of the "master plan" this weekend. I attacked the sod next to the south fence to create a planting area. I already have two hydrangeas and an azalea growing there but they were surrounded by grass. I removed sod and edged with used brick. However I neglected to stand back and observe.....until the end of the day when I thought I was "done." When I observed my work......a nice straight line of bricks........I realized that a straight line was totally not what should be there. So, Sunday morning brought out the pick again. I removed all the brick, drew a more graceful and eye-pleasing set of curves, removed more sod and re-did my planter. It looks far better. Especially after I filled some areas with plants that I have been growing in my little greenhouse.
My other area of pleasure this weekend have been my bird feeders. I have two feeders with wild bird seeds in the back yard as well as two hummingbird feeders. The hummingbirds visit often for the nectar and also to many of my flowers. They are fearless little creatures and I love seeing them.
On my front porch I have hung a "finch-sock" with thistle seed. The Goldfinches just love this sock and I love them. They are the prettiest and most colorful little birds ever. If I am very, very still I can sit with my camera on the far end of my front porch and take pictures of them. If I move all but one fly away. There is one little finch, perhaps a baby, that stays no matter what. I spent quite a bit of time reading out there with my camera in my lap this evening.
I am off work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week for the purpose of painting my front porch. I will paint the railings and roof white and the floor red. I will also paint the trim around the windows red and, hopefully, my front door as well. It really needs the paint and I am looking foreword to the project. I'll post photos when I'm done so I can bore you some more.

No comments: