Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rose and Iris Tie


On this evening of watching election race results (the Oregon Primaries were today) I thought I would report on a winning race in my garden.

When I bought my house there was, besides the sodded lawn, only one plant in my back yard..........a very old and stately red tree rose. She always has the very first bloom of any of my roses in the Spring.
The first Spring I lived here I brought several Iris plants from Mike's yard in Cannon Beach. Iris tend to clump and emerge above the ground as the age and multiply. I brought those "clumps" here and planted them. They have thrived but never bloomed. This year I was so very pleased to see that they were forming flowers. Today they, and Rose, bloomed together. So, in the contest for this evening in my yard, there were no losers, only winners. They are both beautiful and Rose now has a group of pals beneath her to produce blooms all summer.

Many other flowers are already blooming and growing profusely. I have had to install a little bamboo "fence" around my Coral Bells, Bleeding Hearts and Forget-Me-Nots so I can even mow the lawn. They are quite a riot of flowers but I love them. Rather like an English Garden, don't you think? The Maple tree has grown at least another 8" since I re-potted her. I guess she was in need of space.

I have a great deal of pleasure from my yard and love to walk around it or just look at it. Of course, my new back door has a window!! So now I can stand in my kitchen and see my flowers. Last evening I watched thru the back door window as a pair of very tiny hummingbirds drank from my feeder. That's a first as well. I hope they bring all their friends. I love to watch them.

No comments: