
After Kah-nee-ta we returned (reluctantly) to our "normal" lives. It was hard to want to do anything but sit in the sun and read a book. However, we managed to do a couple of things until Sept 13th when we went to Edgefield to see Etta James (pictured above) and BeeBee King. John and Bonnie were with us there as well. We had a wonderful evening of really great music, beer, food and fun. We should do this together more often!
Day after tomorrow (Thursday) my wood stove will be installed!! It seems like I have been waiting for this for a very long time. The tile is set, the grout is done and I am eager to have the stove in. When Mike & I split wood we seem to divide it into two types: Larger hunks for the big wood stove in Mike's house and smaller pieces for me. My wood stove is a Lopi (the brand-name) and far smaller than Mike's. After all, my house is only 720 sq. ft. So, we call the little pieces of wood "Lopi logs" and it comes home with me. I like that concept and have brought two small loads of wood home. I am totally willing to help split and load logs for both of us in order to have wood to burn. As I have said before, my father taught me that he (she) who chops his (her) own wood is twice warmed! I have a feeling that I will be many times warmed this, and coming, winters.
I have taken a photo of the empty hearth this evening. Soon it will have a stove. But my older daughter, Cathy, is not only an artist but a carpenter as well. She requested a photo before the stove went in. I have wanted a mantel behind my stove and she has suggested that I create a mantel of wood to match my oak floor. Additionally, she suggested that I frame the mantel with oak and carry the oak down the the top of the mantel and along side of the tile to the floor. This would tie the mantel to the wood floor. I really like her idea very much and plan to do this. I wish she were nearer to me so she could build it. Cathy has a great eye and she does wonderful work in wood and tile for her clients.
So, I eagerly await Thursday and the installation of my wood stove. Once again, I am off work for that day. I don't think I have worked a full week for over a month!
This coming weekend brings the Race for the Cure 5K race. I will run the Women's 5K in the early AM and then, as I did last year, walk the 5K with Janine's Team at 9:30. October 14th will be the "Great Columbia Crossing" 10K across the Megler Bridge in Astoria. I will run that for the first time with Jody Lampi. She is a member of my Hood to Coast team. This will be her "recovery run" from the Portland Marathon! That will be the only reason she could possibly run at my slower pace. But I am looking forward to running a 10K for the first time in many years. I think I need to keep signing up for races so I keep up my training all year long. Eric wants to beat our 2005 time in the HTC in 2008 so I need to be a little faster next year. Good grief!! I just turned 63 and I am still training??!! I am very grateful that I can still do this and enjoy it very much. I hope I can keep this up for many years to come!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment