There were finally little pieces of Spring to see today. There is a wee Crocus that has come up in my lawn. It is totally not in the "right" place, but it is so right that I will not move it. What a pretty little harbinger of the season to come! My daffodils, planted in November 2005 just after I bought my house, are in bloom again. They look so cheerful against the bleakness of the bare soil and leafless roses.
I started some tulips early in my bedroom window. They are beginning to bloom now so I've moved them to my living room. The sun shone today and highlighted them against the red couch. Cuddles found the perfect spot to sleep, finally, in the sun. It's funny how cats can always find the one little spot of sunshine in the house to curl up and sleep in.
From about noon on it stopped raining today and the sun managed to burn through the cloud layer. I took the opportunity to plant some bulbs in the pots on my porch. Later, when it's warmer, I will plant Geraniums in these pots. But, for now, they will have red tulips coming up to provide some color. I also put Sweet Pea seeds all along the planter in front of my porch. I hope they climb up the lattice this summer with those wonderful fragrant blossoms. I realize they should be "mudded in" in February, but I only missed by 3 days and today is a full moon! I can't keep track of all the requirements for planting but I usually have good luck with my garden anyway.
I weeded in my back yard today and the rose garden. The roses seems to have survived the snow and freezing temperatures. Little buds are forming on the branches and I don't seem to have lost a single rose, even the fragile miniatures that I planted between the larger roses. Many plants seem to be returning from last year. It will be interesting to see which ones come back and which I need to replant. My plum tree has thousands of little buds on the limbs. I wonder if it will soon be in flower. That will be exciting. It has certainly more than doubled in size since I planted it.
I could hear birds twittering and calling today. That sound is so welcome after the silence of the winter. Each season has it's time here and I do so enjoy that. I even find myself perusing the flower and seed catalogues that come in the mail and conjecturing as to which new plants I will try this year. What fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment