Saturday, March 24, 2007

Exploring at Home Again





Driving home from Scappoose this afternoon, the view of Scappoose Bay from Old Portland Road drew me in. I had my camera with me and pulled into the parking lot at Scappoose Bay Kayaking. At first I snapped some photos of the green pasture on the bay and the birds that so often accompany the grazing cattle. There is a sort of campgrounds and park-like area that adjoins the parking to the north. I made my way that direction, thinking I might get a better view of the water. A path lead towards the river and I followed it. Much to my surpirse I came upon a beautiful wood sign that said "Clackstar" with a carved scroll of words beaneath. The words explained that this is an interpretive trail commemorating the historical sight of a Clackstar Indian settlement. There is a somewhat extensive trail system through the copse of trees and along the bay. It seems a work in progress as there are posts that promise more signs and things that look like future markers on plants. There are benches along the trails, many facing the water. Though it was raining lightly, I spent the better part of an hour enjoying my trip along the trails. I disturbed the reverie of a large Blue Heron, who lazily flew about 30 feet further ahead and then simply watched me. I lost the attentions of the Heron when a small boat of fishermen returned to the bay to dock their boat. Making my way down to the water's edge, I watched some geese float along near the boathouses. I doubt they even noticed me.

The rain kept all but fishermen from this lovely and peaceful area today, but later in the Spring and into Summer, I have no doubt that many families will enjoy what is being created. There are so many, many places similar to this right where I live! What a wonderful place to be. I enjoy my little mini-explorations and can't wait to share some of these places with friends and family.

No comments: