




One of the things I liked most about my little house the very first time I saw it, just a year ago last week, was that it had a little shop with a rudimentary work bench. I have never actually had my own "shop" and I was very much looking forward to setting it up. However, when I moved I had to use that area, along with my carport, to store things I hadn't had time to go through. At last, at the end of this summer I was able to sort through most of my stored boxes. I was also able to apply some snowroof (thick, white goo) to my shop roof and stop the leak that was so persistant everytime it rained. After getting rid of and rearranging a lot of "stuff", (read junk) I was able to address the actual bench. It was AWFUL! There were three parts to it, none of which matched, were the same level or were anywhere near even remotely clean. I measured, planned, talked to Mike about what to get and went looking for counter tops........ without success. So, we settled on 3/4" AC plywood ripped to 25" X 97". I did manage to purchase a 4X8 sheet of white pegboard. I should have gotten two sheets. Now I will need to wait for a time that it isn't raining to bring home the other one in my truck.
After cajoling Patrick and Anna to spend the night with Riley, Mike came here this weekend to help-like I really did much! We found the appropriate plywood, finish nails and moulding right here in St. Helens. The sun shone most of the afternoon while we set up sawhorses in my driveway to cut plywood and the pegboard. I actaully got to try out my jigsaw for the first time to cut the hole in the pegboard for the electric outlet. It's a good thing for that experience because I'll need to do it myself for the end wall where I want more pegboard.
I think the whole project just turned out beautifully!!! I just love it and can hardly wait to get more hooks and put my little hand tools up where I can use them. I already have my yard tools on the opposite wall where the window is. I'll probably need a heater to be out there this winter, but it will still be fun. I have a whole new list of "I wants" to deal with, but it's so much fun just anticipating and collecting those things. Mike left me some polyurethane to put on the bench after I sand it......that means I'll get to use my new sander too! But then, perhaps I need a shop-vac to clean up from sanding. Hmmmmm!! Or shall I say $$$$$$$?
The weather has changed. It is truly Fall now. My yard still looks good but I imagine it will "go to sleep" for the season soon. I still have fall flowers and roses and my tomatos are struggling to ripen, but I suspect that, before long, I will need to bring them indoors to hang for the last ones to ripen. I have lettuce, several more cucumbers and many chilis. The cucumbers I share with the folks at work and the chilis will last by drying them in my shop, as I am my remaining Walla Walla onions. The lettuce will be salad, as it was last night for our dinner. I have fed my lawns the "fall weed and feed" thing and mowed again this weekend. But at 4:30 this afternoon it was 47 degrees so I don't imagine I will mow too many more times this year. As the days grow shorter I am planning a which room I will paint next and other inside, winter projects. Seasons are such a good thing. They allow us to vary our lives according to the calendar and always look forward to the next one. As Mike is fond of quoting, "If winter comes can spring be far behind?"
No comments:
Post a Comment