Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Happy Birthday Patrick Capper

















This is for Patrick...............Happy Birthday!
This is a mish-mosh of what has transpired since the Hood to Coast in August. There is a photo of my team at the finish. For the very first year we all met at the finish line and even stayed to drink beer in the beer garden. It was another great race and we all planned how we would run in 2009. Except that we didn't get in this year!!! It was bound to happen sometime and it did. No one can quite believe it, but it's true. Maybe next year or maybe we'll try to run the Rainier to Pacific up in Washington.
After the H2C we went to a concert at the zoo. Rain, rain, rain!!! Patrick and Anna met us there but we all sort of huddled under something. However, Hettie, Cathy and Eric were dying to see Shawn Mullins. We not only heard him sing, saw him but had photos taken (by me) with him at the end of the concert. What a nice guy! We were hoping for a photo op and Mike stood in line behind a guy with a rain jacket on. They chatted and Mike said "Gosh, I wonder if he's going to come out to sign CDs?" The fellow replied, "Well, I want to but I don't know where to go." It was Shawn! So, I asked to take a picture and the result is posted here.
The next week Mike & I made our annual pilgrimage to Kahneeta for some sun. It was beautiful and we spent 4 days soaking up the very warm sunshine. A photo of Archaeologist Michael Capper is included here giving a talk about the "petroglyphs" on the rock.
Fall arrived with a greater than usual display of colors. On one of my trips thru Vernonia to the coast I snapped a typical Oregon road photo of the trees. I still marvel at the beauty of my state. I hope I never grow accustomed to the sights that I see and the views of nature that appear to me as I drive to work, to the coast and even to the store. I simply cannot imagine living anywhere else. I'm not quite sure how I managed to land here but I surely am glad that I did.
Of course, with Fall. Winter cannot be far behind. So we have begun to split wood for both of our woodstoves. Some is huge and must be split several times and then given over to the hydrolic splitter. Of course, that's another story for another BLOG day. But we have wielded our splitting mauls a few times this year.
The final photo is of one of those really pretty, warm sunny days that sneaks into the middle of stormy and rainy times. The Sunday before Thanksgiving we were able to walk most of the afternoon on the beaches. We were really looking for the pelicans that appear to be wintering in Cannon Beach, but we found waterfalls and other very pretty sights as well. We finally found the pelicans up on the North End on Bird Rocks but they were a little too far away for really good photos. Perhaps another time.
So, Patrick, Happy Birthday and I hope you enjoy this scattered array of photos.

No comments: