Sunday, March 21, 2010

The First Trilliums of The Year

We went for a walk this evening because the sun had come out for a few minutes. Mike wanted to look for Triliums. It's still a bit early, but we thought we might see the small, curled up stalks poking through the soil. As we had driven down the road several hours earlier, I had slowed to look for them in the usual places and had not seen any. So, beer and wine in hand, Riley and the two of us strolled down the lawn. The Star Magnolia is recovering from the bashing of fallen trees and is blooming beautifuly. There are some daffodils that the elk have not eaten. There are 5 and six foot baby hemlock trees growing from the top of the horizontal root of a large fallen hemlock tree. The root ball and stump have become a "nurse" log and will likely grow several new trees from what is left. As we walked a few feet further, we spied our first fully formed and blooming Trilium! It is pictured here. What a beauty. Further on, across the road, we saw four more Triliums in full bloom. This was the area that we had looked at four hours earlier and seen none. It is just amazing what just a few hours of sunshine will do.

On our walk we came upon a wheelbarrow that Mike had thrown some "sticks" into while cleaning up the area earlier in the week. Those "sticks" were growing! That is what is in the wheelbarrow pictured here. I swear, you could root a toothpick here and it would grow. Even the Salmon-berry bush was beginning to bloom. It has a lovely pink blossom and the plant is not anywhere near as obnoxious as a blackberry.

There are many areas that I hope to be able to work on and restore this summer. I wish I had more time to give this beautiful piece of property the attention it deserves. I love working in my tiny yard in St. Helens and in this large one as well. They are so different but both are very rewarding when they look good. One could make a career of this........which often seems very inviting.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: