As I drive to work each morning
I can't help but notice my surroundings. I used to think it was just because I was new(ish) to Oregon and was still dazzled by the beauty. But now I realize that I will probably always be dazzled by the beauty of this incredible state. I hope I never become jaded and "used to" seeing what I see. I will admit, however, that I no longer need to remind myself that I am not just on vacation, that I really do live here!On the morning of Monday December 28th, as I started down Old Portland Road, I realized the sun was just rising. My next thought was of "my" oak tree on Scappoose Bay and that the sun would rise directly behind it of I were to be in just exactly the right place. I raced down the raod and pulled off near the Elk's Lodge on the old road into the cemetary and waited. At the right moment I went across to the edge of the pasture (where a few old Guernsey cows came to see what I had to offer) and snapped away with my small Canon camera. Looking at my photos later at the office I liked what I had done. I knew I would take a closer look soon.
On Tuesday December 29th, as the city left work for home, Portland was blindsided by a snow storm. We all spent hours (and hours and hours) on the clogged roads trying to get home. I was fortunate: I actually GOT home! The following morning (the 30th), driving to work and still thinking about the sunrise photos I had taken, I made the choice to again take Old Portland Road even though it hadn't been plowed. I wanted to see the Oak Tree in the snow. I again stopped and took just one photo-it was very, very cold-the difference is striking! These two photos were taken exactly 48 hours apart and yet they look like different seasons. This oak tree is most likely 200-300 years old and so beautifully formed! I just love to see it each day as I go to from work.

No comments:
Post a Comment