




I, admittedly, have been remiss in keeping my BLOG updated. I will attempt, over the next few days, to bring this missive up to date.
The Sauvie Island Bridge has been outdated and inadequate for a long time. Sauvie Island has many farms and much industry, the products of which need to be transported to the mainland and beyond. The old bridge was narrow and no longer had the structural strength to withstand the truck traffic necessary for commerce. A new bridge has been under construction since I have been in Oregon. The span for the new bridge was constructed here in Portland and designed by the same engineer that designed the large and lovely Fremont Bridge. The engineer reportedly was brought out of retirement to design this span. It was constructed on the waterfront near Terminal 2. A special, large barge was brought from Alaska to tow the span from T2 to Sauvie Island. Though the towing date was postponed 2-3 times due to weather, on December 28th the towing began at about 7:45am.
The day dawned cold and cloudy but without wind. I arose early, donned jeans, boots, a down jacket, hat, gloves, my camera and made my way to Cathedral Park beneath the St. Johns Bridge. This was, reportedly, the best venue for photographing this event. I was not present for the construction for any other of the beautiful bridges in this city and greatly wanted to be a part of this one. I entertained myself while waiting by taking other photos, one of which is displayed here, of the very, very beautiful St. Johns Bridge which has been deemed, even by it's designer, as the most beautiful bridge in the world. I must agree with that.
In any event, the new Sauvie Island span began it's journey down the Multnomah Channel at about 8:45, coming under the raised railroad bridge. Looking from a distance, we were all convinced that it could not possibly fit beneath. But fit it did and progressed down the river preceded by a fire boat, pulled by a large tug and pushed by two other tugs. Even the clearance under the height of the St. Johns bridge was awe inspiring to those of standing there on the boat docks at Cathedral Park.
I am so very glad that I was able to record this event. I arrived at work about 10am with mud nearly up to my knees on the (allowable for work) black jeans I wore. Thankfully, I had worn boots to photograph and had brought nice shoes for work. The "photo of the day", however, was the picture I took of the St. Johns Bridge through the trees as I awaited the "event" I came to document. You just never know when that one, special shot will present itself to be taken.
No comments:
Post a Comment