Tuesday, June 05, 2007

A Weekend at Home in St. Helens








This past weekend was a "gardening" weekend at home. The grass needed either a lawnmower or a goat........I chose the mower. Everything is growing by leaps and bounds now, and that includes the weeds. After weeding, edging and trying to divest my plants near the back fence of bindweed, I mowed front and back. I know some folks think bindweed is "Wild Morning Glory" because it blooms in pretty, innocuous blossoms. But it wraps itself around virtually everything in the garden and will promptly kill it all. As vigorous as Cosmos are, the bindweed managed to kill most of those that I set out 6 weeks ago, as well as dislodging two mature iris plants. I have replace the Cosmos but what a terrible pest bindweed is. The house behind me is obviously a rental, and while the backyard was once a lovely place complete with a beautiful brick barbecue, it is now just overgrown grass and bindweed. I wish I could go back there a spray "agent orange" or something. Never-the-less, my yard is doing well and flowers are blooming. I pull bindweed daily off of everything.
Last year I installed a rudimentary sprinkling system. Last Saturday I amended my system to include a rain bird, a hose to my deck, a "free" hose and the resident line to the faucet I created in the front. It is a comical conglomeration of some imagination, but it functions quite well. I have included here a photo of what the "control-center" looks like. Don't laugh too hard........it works! That's what happens when one buys an old house with only one faucet on the entire property. One day, when I win the lottery (which I don't play), perhaps I will have someone come and install a "real" system. Until then, this will be just fine.
My next door (to the South) neighbor, Jesse, passed away the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend after a long and brave struggle with many health issues. He and Edna were my favorite neighbors and we spent enjoyable time together. The photo of the old Cadillac here is of the car Jesse and Edna had lovingly restored and then driven all over the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada. Because of all the family and friends visiting this past weekend, the Cadillac lived in the front of my house. It is so pretty that I could not resist a few photos of it. This is just one.
I cut some roses this morning to take to work with me. They were so pretty from my kitchen window, and since I'm not here to enjoy them during the day, I decided to take some with me for my desk. Most of the folks saw me come in with them. However, Debbie Park didn't see me bring them. Sometime during the day she passed by me door and asked "Are those real? They look so pretty." I assured her they were and invited her to enjoy the fragrance. They really are beautiful this year. Even though they bloomed last year, this year they seem more vigorous and mature. I hope they continue to thrive.

No comments: