Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Amazing






Amazing!!! I only started working on my yard a month ago. I looked around this evening and couldn't believe my eyes. I have lettuce and spinach that needs to be harvested. I have chives (see purple flowers above) that need to be used or put in a bouquet! My crazy Egyptian (or Walking) onions are blooming and looking very strangely at each other.................but then, they are odd anyway!
Last year I transplanted some Bleeding Heart plants from Mike's yard in Cannon Beach. They did well and bloomed. But THIS year they have gone nuts!! Not only have they spread and are blooming, but they are almost five feet tall now. I have had to stake them so they don't fall. They are beautiful and I think they must really like my awful black clay soil. I have brought more plants again from Mike's and planted them this evening. I hope they do as well as the Bleeding Hearts.
I finally was able to wrest an afternoon off from Broadway Medical Clinic today. It was difficult. As Mike predicted, folks pursued me all the way out the door. One fellow even chased me down the sidewalk, calling my name. However, I managed a clean get-away at last and was able to drive to Rainer and purchase my wood stove. This purchase of the wood stove will net me a call from the installer to come and tell me how much it will cost for the actual installation. This also means I really must finish the tile setting project. The floor portion is done, but I need to continue the tile up the wall behind the stove. I really like the Navajo rug pattern I designed and am looking forward to doing the rest. I've always wanted to learn to set tile. Thanks to Mike's instruction, I now feel more confident in doing this. Actually, I could probably get carried away with it and "find" more projects to do.
Oregon is a marvelous place to live. I am slowly but surely learning about the climate, the plants, and the plant "pests" that dwell here and am able to negotiate around my gardening fetish with more success each season. I have also learned that weeds grow with as much vigor as the favorable species. Bark mulch is becoming my best Friend. Safer spray runs a close second as does Deadline slug & snail killer. I can't imagine living anyplace else. I just love it here!!

No comments: